July – Kubrick Month

Home Forums Contributor Forum Features July – Kubrick Month

• Creator
    Topic
    Robb Sheppard
    Participant

Tenuously linked to the influential director’s month of birth, here at Flickfeast, July will be Stanley Kubrick month! Hoorah!

We have some beautiful exclusive artwork commissioned to roll out as well as a career retrospective on the way from Kate and an essay series on Lolita from Chris.

I’ve got ideas aplenty for the rest of the month which I’ll be posting up on the forums over the next week but want to throw it open to you guys.

Feel free to drop us a comment below and let’s see what we can come up with.

Thanks,

Robb

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Joseph McFarlane
    Participant

Hi Robb,

I had an idea for Kubrick in the studio system. Looking at how he managed to have Warner Bros distribute/produce his projects, given their oftentimes experimental or controversial nature.

I’ve already done some research on the subject and it’s quite interesting.

All the best,
    Joseph McFarlane

Joe Bull
    Participant

I’d love to do something Shining based- I haven’t any ideas yet but thought I’d nab The Shining before anyone else!

Cheers

Joe

Tom Baker
    Participant

Since I only recently moved to London and need an excuse to explore beyond my own neighbourhood, I’d like to pitch something about the real-life locations he used for his films! I’m thinking of a photo essay of the modernist estates and buildings featured in A Clockwork Orange, the then-desolate parts of East London that doubled for Vietnam in Full Metal Jacket, I might even head out to the country manor that doubled for Peter Sellers’s estate in Lolita?

The idea would be explaining how the locations were used in the film, taking some pictures and then placing images from the film next to how they look now?

Robb Sheppard
    Participant

Thanks Joe – that does sound interesting. Please do go for this – there’s no fixed deadline as of you but I’ll announce at the end of the month. Looking forward to reading it!

Robb

Robb Sheppard
    Participant

Let’s go with The Shining then, Joe Bull! What are you thinking? There’s plenty to go at. Initial thoughts include King’s beef with the film, the movie version vs the tv version, the novel vs the movie, then there’s the film’s demenading shoot, the fact there’s just been a sequel announced…

I mean, you’re not at work or anything are you?

Ta,

Robb

Robb Sheppard
    Participant

Tom Baker…in the field! That sounds fascinating. The Clockwork Orange locations alone will be gold. Do start looking into this. Thanks.

Robb

Tom Baker
    Participant

I’ll be sure to update my bio to include “Roving Reporter”!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recommended

Don't miss it